Monday, November 5, 2012

Damn You AARP!

It's official!  I have finally arrived!  AARP found me and according to the mailer I received just today, I am now age eligible for membership.  W-H-A-T?  I'm old?  Is that what this means? Oh sweet Jesus say it isn't so!  Just yesterday I flunked my driver's test and had to retake it three times before passing and securing that long awaited license.  No, I'm not kidding!  Three times!!!  But I finally got it and I was so very proud.  I had what it took to get myself far away from parental oversight.  I had independence!  I was 16, I had a car and I was now legal to drive.  And that WAS just yesterday. Or so I thought.  Hmm.  What happened?  Where did the years go?  To qualify for AARP, one must be age 50 or older.  I remember yesterday - when I was 16 getting my driver's license - I thought 50 was O-L-D. Something I would never be!  And now that I'm there - now that I'm 50 (ok, ok, technically 51. . . but is there really much difference?) 16 seems like it was just yesterday.  Perspective.  With age I'm finding more and more that looking back seems like. . . well. . . not that long ago.  And looking ahead?  Hmm.  Well it too seems not so far away.  Very unlike my teen years, when looking back seemed like forever ago and looking ahead seemed like something that would never happen.  It was too far out.  I guess too far out finally got here.  I wasn't ready; I have to admit.  But it happened.  Whether I was ready or not.  And now, thanks to AARP, I am forced to admit that time is passing. . . quickly.  It's time to do now all the things I thought I'd do later. . . when I had more time.  Truth is, I don't have more time. Not much anyway.  Time is running out.  Note to self: Think Nike!  "Just Do It". . . and do it Now!
How 'bout you? Are you finding more and more that your life is passing "too" quickly? What dreams or goals have you put off waiting for "later", when you have more time or more money or more energy or more. . . well, you get the idea, right? When you stop and think about the quickness of this one life, is there something you want to do, can do and will do without putting it off any longer? Please share, won't you? I'd love to hear your ideas! In my "old" age, I fear I've forgotten things, and your comments might help remind me. Thanks for dropping by. Peace. ~Quinn~

No comments:

Post a Comment